Georgia’s Technical College Presidents Sign “5-Star” Statement of Support for the Georgia National Guard and Reserve
May 31, 2007 – An agency of the Department of Defense, the Georgia Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (GA ESGR), has announced that the 34 presidents of the Technical College System of Georgia, including Columbus Technical College, have signed a “5-Star” Statement of Support for the Georgia National Guard and Reserve.
(left to right) National Guard Member SSG Denise Salinas/Administrative Assistant (HHC 148th BSB), Army Reservist MAJ Ramona Mulleins/Practical Nursing Program Manager (228th CSH) and National Guard Member 2LT Denise McBride/Biology Lab Assistant (C.Co 148th BSB). Not pictured: Shandreka West/Financial Aid Assistant.
The “5-Star” Statement of Support confirms that the state technical colleges:
- Support their employees who serve in the National Guard and Reserve;
- Have human resources policies that ensure compliance with the Uniformed Services Employment and Re-Employment Rights Act Law (USERRA);
- Promote training for managers and supervisors to effectively manage employees who serve in the Guard and Reserve;
- Adopted polices and programs that are “above and beyond” what is required by the USERRA Law;
- Advocate for employee service in the National Guard and Reserve and will help to promote the mission of ESGR.
“Signing this Statement of Support served as further confirmation of the respect and admiration we have for our National Guardsmen and Reservists,” said Columbus Technical College President, Bob Jones. “Not only do these individuals commit themselves to Columbus Technical College as true professionals but they serve our country as well. We are honored to have them as part of our team.”
There are currently more than 1.2 million members of the National Guard and Reserves. In recent years, they have been relied on heavily to serve in active duty in places like Iraq; this is in addition to their service inside our nation’s borders.
More information about ESGR is available at www.esgr.mil or by calling the Georgia Committee Office at 678-569-6037.