Scholarship for CTC Students Expands, Provides $2500

Four Columbus Technical College students, including a high school senior, have an extra $625 in their pockets thanks to hard work and a scholarship provided by Grainger®. The industrial supply company expanded its scholarship opportunity this semester to students enrolled in welding and automotive technology as well as those in heating and air-conditioning technology.

In her application, 17-year-old high school senior Hayley Beason wrote how excited she is to have such passion and skill in the welding profession – a family tradition. Hayley’s grandfather and uncle were both welders; Hayley started welding at Jordan in 2009. In 2010, she became a part of the joint enrollment program for high school students at Columbus Technical College and continues to be ranked in the top two of her senior class at JHS. Hayley Beason has big plans for her future. 

She wrote, “I plan to further my education at the American College of the Building Arts in the Forged Architectural Ironwork program…I plan to come back to Columbus and help remodel and restore some of the buildings and structures here. Eventually, I hope to open a welding shop of my own.” 

Fellow winners Eugene Rush, Jared White, and Ronald Frost are all enrolled in the heating and air conditioning technology program at Columbus Tech. 

In his application, Eugene Rush wrote, “Winning this award would allow me to pursue my dream of owning my own heating and air business. It would assist me in purchasing the necessary tools and equipment to perform my job in a successful manner.” 

Jared White is “enthusiastically pursuing education and training to become a professional trained heating, ventilation, and air conditioner (HVAC) technician.” He says his $625 from Grainger will go to use immediately by allowing him to purchase much-needed tools for his trade. 

Ronald Frost of Ellerslie, Georgia is excited about his HVAC diploma being able to take him to new professional heights. Frost was employed at Mutec but is now a full time student now that the plant is closed. He’s pursuing his education in part to serve as an example for his children. 

“My kids are old enough to understand why their father is going back to college, it is more important now than ever that I don’t give up,” Frost wrote. “When I am an experienced HVAC technician, I will be good at my job and be able to help any of my friends and family with their air conditioning problems.” 

The Grainger scholarship is managed through the Columbus Technical College Foundation. The $2,500 is awarded three times per year to four outstanding welding, HVAC, or automotive students.

Oct. 27, 2011: (left to right) Scholarship winner Ronald Frost, HVAC program manager Craig Oldenburg, winner Eugene Rush, Grainger’s Brian Brock, HVAC instructor Ron Barfield, winner Hayley Beason, welding instructor Ronnie McBride, dean of professional and technical services Meredith Yoe, winner Jared White, and director of institutional advancement Gloria Dodds.