CTC Grads Set Examples, Break Records

Attendees of this Monday’s Columbus Technical College graduation ceremony will be treated to the school’s largest commencement yet!  About 600 students met the requirements to qualify for graduation and nearly 400 of them will be walking across the Trade Center ballroom stage on December 19 at 7:30 p.m. These students completed their educational requirements either during the summer semester or in the fall. The largest number of graduates (145) hails from the School of Health Sciences. Graduates from several health programs including surgical technology, diagnostic medical sonography, medical assisting, nursing, and pharmacy technology will also be part of a pinning ceremony during the commencement exercises. 

Even though she won’t be able to attend the ceremony, 46-year-old wife and mother of seven children aged nine to 19, Linda Hollist, is thrilled to get her associate degree in nursing. She has been able to maintain a solid “B” average in her studies and even earned a scholarship through Columbus Regional. This former teacher, (she holds a bachelor’s degree in math education with minors in Asian studies and music) racquetball champion, professional jazz singer, and church missionary is anxious to start the next chapter in her life as a labor/delivery nurse. 

“Having a family especially made me realize I wanted to be a baby nurse,” Hollist said with a smile. “The thought of being there when a new life enters the world is just awe-inspiring to me. The bonus being I can work three days a week and still be considered full time so I’ll still be there for my family.” 

Freshman Georgia Senator Josh McKoon has been tapped to address the graduates and their loved ones. He is expected to encourage the graduates to show gratitude for everyday gifts and to live life to the fullest. 

“I am truly honored that Columbus Technical College asked me to give their commencement address,” Senator McKoon said. “Columbus Tech is an amazing institution that has provided so much in the way of opportunity for the greater Columbus community. This is my chance to say ‘thank you.’” 

According to data compiled by the Technical College System of Georgia, Columbus Technical College placed 96 percent of its graduates in jobs during the fiscal year 2011 (June 30, 2010 – July 1, 2011). That includes students who continued their postsecondary education. 

Wife and mother of seven, Linda Hollist, dons her cap and gown after earning her associate degree in nursing from Columbus Technical College. She hopes to use her new skills and educational background to work in a labor and delivery environment.