Nursing Students Earn $1000 total from Hartline, Klayder Scholarships

Two freshmen Columbus Technical College nursing students will be adding some much-needed money to their education fund thanks to special scholarships. Twenty-three-year-old Ashton Allen boasts a 4.0 grade point average and earned $500 thanks to the Klayder Scholarship for 2012. In her scholarship application, Allen remembered firsthand what it felt like to be a child who lost loved ones to cancer and how important it was to witness excellent patient care. 

“I began to understand that nursing was much more than just administering medications,” Allen wrote. “Nursing was building relationships with patients, and helping them to face the problems that they were going through. From that point forward, I always knew that my calling was to be a Nurse (sic). I wanted to be able to offer the kind of care that had been given to my family in our greatest time of need.” 

Jennifer Digby is the winner of the 2012 W.G. Hartline Scholarship. This Columbus native graduated from the University of Georgia in 1997 and worked in the financial services industry for 13 years. Her decision to take a major turn on her career path came also came after the hospitalization of a loved one. 

“I made the final decision to pursue a nursing career after experiencing my grandmother’s hospitalization in the spring and summer of 2010,” Digby wrote. “I am thankful for the nurses that provided care for my grandmother during her hospitalization, and subsequent hospice stay. Speaking with the nurses solidified my decision to pursue nursing as a career.” 

The W.G. Hartline Scholarship is named in memory of Mr. W.G. “Griff” Hartline, former president of Columbus Technical College.  Mr. Hartline served the College from 1965 – 1994 and was president from 1979 – 1994. The scholarship is awarded each December to a deserving first year nursing student. 

The Paul A. Klayder, Jr. and Annie Velma Urquhart Klayder Scholarship is provided through an endowment fund transferred to the Columbus Technical College Foundation from the Doctors Hospital Auxiliary.

Columbus Technical College nursing students Ashton Allen and Jennifer Digby show off their 2012 scholarship certificates. Ashton (left) won the Klayder scholarship while Digby won the Hartline scholarship. Each award is worth $500.