Grainger Scholarship Helps Four HVAC Students

March 19, 2012:  Thanks to a well-known industrial supply company, four students enrolled in the HVAC (heating, ventilation, air-conditioning) program at Columbus Technical College have an extra $625 to help fund their education. The Grainger Foundation provides a total $7500 in scholarship funds for qualified students enrolled in the HVAC, Automotive, and/or Welding programs.

Christopher Thrower of Ellerslie is a husband and father of two who works to put himself through school — maintaining a 3.79 grade point average. In his application for the Grainger scholarship he wrote, “I have a strong personal belief in good customer relations and honestly look forward to providing good quality service every time I do a job. The Grainger scholarship is exactly what my family needs.”

Ronald Frost, also of Ellerslie, addressed the high-priced tools and equipment needed by service personnel in the HVAC field and knows the scholarship money will help make those tools attainable. He also wrote of the dedication by Columbus Technical College faculty – namely program manager Craig Oldenburg. “…The problem was soon fixed when Mr. Oldenburg showed up on the jobsite to help me. I should mention that my instructor drove to a job on his day off to help one of his students.”

Winner Tony Mills of Columbus discussed the importance of  moving forward after facing obstacles. “In my past, I have made many mistakes. Like others, I have learned from my mistakes and I try hard to correct them. The biggest mistake I think I made was not realizing the importance of a good education – which was always waiting for me to take advantage of it. I eventually realized that I still have an opportunity to attain a good education and the potential to use it wisely.”

Aaron Ostrander of Fortson recalled how a sudden curveball can change one’s life; he is turning what could be a huge negative into a thriving positive. In 2010 he found himself unemployed. “I was faced with the realization that further education was my best option. This encouraged me to view unemployment as a chance for a change and a more secure future.”

Grainger Scholarship Winners, March 2012

March 14, 2012: Four students from Columbus Technical College's HVAC program earned scholarships through the Grainger Foundation. Pictured are: (l to r) instructor Ron Barfield, winner Aaron Ostrander, instructor Bryan Golden, winner Tony Mills, winner Ronald Frost, winner Christopher Thrower, Grainger's Brian Brock, CTC director of institutional advancement, Gloria Dodds, and HVAC program manager Craig Oldenburg.

Grainger provides these four $625 scholarships three times per year. Thanks to them for being such an amazing community partner!