Columbus Rotary Honors Students with $500 Scholarships

Thanks to the generosity of the Rotary Club of Columbus, two deserving Columbus Technical College students have 500 more dollars to help them finish school. Brittaney Carter and Brittney Edwards are both enjoying their last semester as college students and when their instructors emailed them about a new scholarship through the Rotary Club, they immediately applied. The requirements were right up their alleys, including having a strong academic standing and being enrolled in your final term. Brittaney Carter is finishing up the radiologic technology degree program while Brittney Edwards is “this close” to completing her paralegal degree.

Rotary scholars2013

Brittaney Carter (second from right) and Brittney Edwards accept their scholarships from Columbus Technical College President and Columbus Rotary member, Bob Jones. Also pictured are Dean of Nursing and Muscogee Rotary President-Elect Ken Gordon and Dean of Professional & Technical Studies and Rotary member Meredith Yoe.

Edwards is currently interning at the Muscogee Solicitor General’s Office as well as the Family Law Center. As she wrote in her scholarship application, while her internships are greatly improving her odds at finding full time work after school, the immediate financial hit has been tough.

“By taking on those additional tasks, I have reduced my working hours and salary by more than half creating a financial burden,” she wrote. “This scholarship will not only help me financially but it will also give me a strong sense of accomplishment knowing the sacrifices I have made towards my education were not in vain.”

Carter has already been hired as a technologist’s assistant at the Medical Center. Between working part time and trying to maintain her stellar GPA, she says it’s been tough. Having an extra 500 dollars will go a long way.

“The scholarship money will help me purchase the tools I need to graduate. I have books, modules, and tuition to pay for; all of which comes out of my own pocket,” she wrote in her application. “With the help of this scholarship, I can gain a career that I love while also having a real impact on may patients’ lives.”

Congratulations to Brittaney Carter and Brittney Edwards; best wishes to you both. Thanks to the Rotary Club of Columbus for helping these young women achieve their dreams!