Recent Nursing School Grad also Scholarship Winner

Newly-named Klayder Scholar Kelly Palizay wants to change the world; as a recent graduate of the Columbus Technical College Associate Degree in Nursing program and $500 scholarship winner, she’s well on her way. In her application essay for the Paul A. and Velma Urquhart Klayder, Jr. Nursing Scholarship, Palizay admits that changing the world was her life’s goal ever since she was a little girl.

Klayder_Winner_Dec

Kelly Palizay shows off her Klayder Scholarship certificate with Columbus Technical College President Lorette M. Hoover (right) and Director of Institutional Advancement Gloria Dodds.

“At a young age, I held a desire to excel in academics,” she wrote. “I graduated high school with honors…went to college two years early, and transferred to a private college to finish my undergraduate degree.”

Palizay earned her bachelor of arts summa cum laude in health fitness but wasn’t satisfied – saying the degree wasn’t allowing her to fulfill her drive to nurture and improve lives in the holistic way she desired. Shortly after graduation, she followed her heart and loved ones’ advice and decided to pursue a different educational and career pathway – nursing.

The latest notch in her nursing cap is being named a winner of the Klayder scholarship. In addition to the essay, winners must have maintained a minimum GPA of 3.0 and collected three letters of recommendation from instructors and/or current or former employers. Each year, one freshman nursing student and one senior student may qualify for this award.

True to form, Kelly Palizay sees finishing nursing school as another step to improving her life while changing the world.

“I believe my work is never done, and I will continue my curiosity and education in health care as long as I live. In the next five years I plan to achieve a bachelor degree in nursing as well as start on a master’s degree. Down the road I plan to get a doctorate, to further influence and improve the way health care is delivered.”

Congratulations, Kelly. You make Columbus Technical College proud!