Grainger Foundation Scholarship Provides Much-Needed Boost for 5 CTC Students

Five Columbus Technical College students are adding some education-based dollars to their bank accounts these days. James Woodworth, Lonnie Cleveland, and Kyle Schramm are all enrolled in the heating, ventilation, air-conditioning (HVAC) program at the college; Roger Chaney is studying welding and joining technology while Nicholas Anderson is pursuing his passion in automotive technology. All five are recipients of the most recent awarding of the Grainger Foundation Scholarship.  Each semester, five winning students are awarded $525 each for program-related expenses. The students must be in good academic standing, submit an application, recommendation letter, and a brief write-up stating why they deserve the scholarship.

Front row (l to r): Columbus Technical Foundation Past Chair Murray Solomon, CTC Director of Institutional Advancement Gloria Dodds, winner Nicholas Anderson, winner James Woodworth, winner Roger Chaney, winner Ronnie Cleveland, winner Kyle Schramm, Grainger Branch Manager Brian Brock, and CTC President Lorette M. Hoover Back row (l to r): Automotive Technology Program Director & Instructor Alan Ashmore, Auto Technology Instructor George Belk, HVAC Lab Assistant Ron Barfield, Dean of Professional & Technical Services Meredith Yoe, Welding Instructor Daniel Cooper, HVAC Program Director & Instructor Craig Oldenberg, and HVAC Instructor Aaron Ostrander

Automotive technology student Nicholas Anderson wrote about doing what you love.

“Passion is the lifeblood of what keeps us interested in living every day and I’m proud to say that I’ve found mine in automobiles,” Anderson said. “I believe that with the Grainger Scholarship, I will not only fulfill my dreams as an auto tech but will exceed that and perhaps become a shop owner, an automotive engineer or even an automobile designer.”

Winner Lonnie Cleveland boasts a 4.0 GPA and takes his education very seriously. The extra money is a Godsend for him.

“I’m extremely passionate about my goals of receiving a diploma in HVAC and my thirst for knowledge in the industry is driving me to reinvent myself through education and learn a new job skill,” Cleveland wrote. “I’m a low-income student; in fact I was recently laid off from a temporary agency due to lack of work. This scholarship will allow me to seek an apprenticeship and help me focus more on my studies.”

Past Chair of the CTC Foundation, Murray Solomon (right), congratulates scholarship winner Lonnie Cleveland.

In his application, Army veteran Roger Chaney wrote about wanting to further his education after serving his country as a Tank Systems Mechanic. He already holds a diploma from Columbus Technical College in machine tool technology but wanted more.

“I recently applied for a dual major program where I’ll earn a degree in technical management and welding,” Chaney said. “I enjoy making things with my hands. It gives me a great sense of pride and accomplishment to make different things from drawings and blueprints.”

Student James Woodworth found out first-hand why his chosen field is so important.

Columbus Technical College President Lorette M. Hoover congratulates Grainger Foundation scholarship winner James Woodworth. Looking on is Gloria Dodds, director of institutional advancement and Brian Brock, Grianger branch manager.

Columbus Technical College President Lorette M. Hoover congratulates Grainger Foundation scholarship winner James Woodworth. Looking on is Gloria Dodds, director of institutional advancement and Brian Brock, Grainger branch manager.

“During the early part of the summer, I started having A/C issues and my A/C went out. With the knowledge of capacitors that I learned back in the AIRC1040 class, I was able to diagnose the problem and fist the issue without having a repair technician come out,” he said.

HVAC student Kyle Schramm is looking forward to the future and putting his scholarship to good use with the purchase of much-needed tools and equipment.

“The idea of working in a different area, meeting new challenges, and overcoming new difficulties every single day makes me excited about my future and about working (most people can’t say that),” Schramm said.

Since 2010, the Foundation has provided about $30,500 in scholarship monies for Columbus Technical College students attending school for welding, HVAC, and/or automotive technology.

About Grainger: Grainger has been a part of the Columbus business community for more than 20 years as the leading broad line supplier of maintenance, repair, and operating products. The Grainger Foundation, an independent, private foundation based in Lake Forest, Illinois, was established in 1949 by William W. Grainger, founder of W.W. Grainger, Inc.