CTC’s Medical Assisting, Coding Instructor also an Author and Pageant Winner!

In these days of doing less with more, almost everyone is used to wearing a lot of hats but when one of your hats is a crown, that’s when things can get really interesting. The program director for Columbus Technical College’s Medical Assisting, Medical Coding, and Medical Front Office Assisting programs is also the crown holder for the Mrs. Phenix City (America). But there’s even another hat – that’s one of an author.

Leslie Noles has had a busy few years. For the last four, she’s been working tirelessly on authoring a textbook for medical assisting students. The book entitled Clinical Skills for Patient-Centered Care is described as a hands-on workbook/textbook combination. She has edited several medical assisting textbooks with the F.A. Davis publishing company out of Philadelphia so when they contacted her about getting her own byline, she didn’t have to think twice.

Leslie Noles (center) works with the crew from F.A. Davis Publishing as they photograph images for her soon-to-be textbook. At left is editor Jill Rembetski and photographer Jason Torres is on the right.

“I’ve had a relationship with them for a while,” Noles said. “I was thrilled when they asked me to write my own textbook. After all, I put these techniques into practice with my own students and we’ve had phenomenal success. I want to give other instructors and students at other schools the same opportunities.”

Her book focuses on best practices for clinical medical assisting and it comes from personal events.

“I based a lot of the lessons on my own experiences in patient education. I’d like the reader to know how to provide the best possible care and most effective communication. There are even real world tips in the book.

When reviewers read over her proposal, they were smitten and, Noles said, especially liked her chapter on how to best administer medication with the least pain and discomfort. Clinical Skills for Patient-Centered Care should be in print in summer or fall of 2015.

As for the crown-wearing part of her life, Leslie Noles is no stranger to the pageant world. She actually participated in several pageants before she was married and became a mother.

“I represented Jacksonville State University in 1997 as part of the Miss Alabama pageant,” Noles remembered with a smile.

Leslie_MsAL1

CTC Medical Assisting, Medical Coding, and Medical Front Office Program Director Leslie Noles shows off her Mrs. Phenix City crown.

Currently, she assists contestants with their hair and make-up needs. So when she was dolling up some Miss Georgia contestants this year and a friend told her she should go out for the Mrs. Phenix City competition she did what any overbooked, 40-plus hour a week wife and mother who’s authoring a book would do… she said why not? After sending some pictures of herself and a resume, she soon found out she was named Mrs. Phenix City. In March, she’ll be competing in the Mrs. Alabama pageant.

Her husband and six-year-old son are already practicing getting used to the idea of having a statewide winner in the family.

“I’ll pick up the phone and my son will say, ‘Hello? Mrs. Alabama?’”