SkillsUSA is a national organization serving more than 264,000 high school students, college students, and professional members. One purpose of SkillsUSA is to develop leadership abilities through participation in educational, vocational, civic, recreational, and social activities. SkillsUSA members develop into well-rounded people with technical, academic, and "employability" skills important to getting a job and having a successful career. Membership is open to students in all program areas.
The organization’s purposes include the following:
- Develop leadership abilities through participation in educational, civic, recreational, and social activities.
- Unite all students enrolled in trade and industrial, technical, and health occupations education in a common bond.
- Foster a deep respect for the dignity of work.
- Create enthusiasm for learning.
- Promote high standards in trade ethics, workmanship, scholarship, and safety.
- Promote cooperative activities among students, faculty, industry personnel, and business community.
- Develop patriotism through knowledge of the nation’s heritage and the practice of democracy.
Students are eligible to participate in various leadership-training sessions in the Professional Development Plan and in 72 different skills and leadership contests at the local, state, and national levels.