Student Disability Services

Columbus Technical College Disability Services provides quality service to each student with a diagnosed disability through appropriate modification of college policies, practices and procedures. It’s our mission to ensure that every student with a disability has an equal opportunity to benefit from college programs. We emphasize personal independence and responsibility on the part of the student in the provision of their services.

Location and Office Hours

Hartline Administration Building Room 163
Phone: 706-649-1533V/TTY

Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.

An advisor is available each day during regular hours to provide services to students on a first come/first served basis or by appointments.

Disability Services

Students who request accommodations to courses or activities, should provide appropriate documentation of their disability to the Disability Services office. If the accommodation is justified by the documentation and is reasonable for the College to provide, the Disability Services office will work with the student and the College personnel to facilitate the accommodation. The documentation and request for accommodations should be submitted as early as possible. All documentation provided to the Disability Services office will be kept confidential. Providing services to student with disabilities may vary depending on the type and nature of the disability.

Accommodations (by student request) include, but are not limited to:

  • Interpreter services for the deaf or hearing impaired (advance notice is required)
  • Visual aids
  • Assistive Technology
  • Assistance with registration
  • Voice recorders and batteries for use in classrooms
  • Extended testing time
  • Textbook in alternative format
  • Braille Services

Frequently-Asked Questions

How is a disability defined?

According to ADA (Americans w/Disabilities Act), “Disability” is defined as: (1) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of the individual; (2) a record of a substantially limiting impairment or; (3) being regarded as having a substantially limiting impairment.

Are there accommodations for students with disabilities?

Yes. An advisor is available to help provide reasonable accommodations for any student with a disability, whether or not the disability is obvious or hidden (as defined by ADA). In order to offer the best possible support, those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to contact Student Disability Services (SDS) before deciding upon a program area. Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) and the Veteran’s Administration are two certifying agencies which work very closely with Student Disability Services at CTC.

How may I obtain professional documentation of my disability?

Professional documentation may be obtained through various sources. (1) VR (2) DAV [VA/VR] (3) a private physician or agency. Individual Evaluation Plans (IEPs) are acceptable for evaluation purposes ONLY). Documentation must be current (within the last 3 years). Student will receive one semester waiver on documentation with the understanding that SDS will need documentation prior to the next semester to provide services.

What is vocational rehabilitation, and how may I apply for services?

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is a federal/state agency under the Department of Labor. The main objective of VR is to help otherwise qualified persons with disabilities join or rejoin the workforce. Services include:

  • Guidance counseling
  • Vocational evaluation
  • Job replacement

Persons with disabilities (physical, mental or emotional) may apply for services by visiting the VR Office and completing an application. Eligibility presently requires a permanent, severely disabling condition. If eligible, VR may provide financial sponsorship for training; however, clients are required to apply for the Pell Grant or Hope Grant first.

Is there special parking for students with disabilities?

Persons requiring handicap parking privileges must obtain state authorized handicap parking permits. Such permits may be obtained through the Driver’s License Bureau. For information on CTC parking, please contact the Campus Security at 706-649-1933 located in room P-206 of the Patrick Hall, 649-1310.

Student Disability Services Staff Members

Olive Vidal-Kendall, Director
ADA/504 Coordinator
(706) 649–1442

James Short
Special Populations Coordinator
(706) 649-5646

Melinda Delbridge
Interpreter-Disability Advisor
(706) 649-1533