Writing Support Lab
Writing Support Lab
The Writing Support Lab is a FREE resource for all current Columbus Tech students. We will help you with your writing or reading assignment in any class. We provide one-on-one instruction in our center in Patrick Hall (room P-602).
Monday 1:00PM – 4:00PM
Tuesday 10:00AM – 4:00PM
Wednesday 10:00AM – 4:00PM
Thursday 10:00AM – 4:00PM
- Dana Vannoy
- Jessica Williams
- Jason Brown
- Timothy Grayer
CLICK Computer Support Consultant
- Jenna Cummings
Writing Support Lab Coordinator
What we can do:
- Help you plan your essay based on the assignment instructions given by your teacher.
- Brainstorm ideas to get started on an assignment.
- Review your draft for organization, focus, and good research methods.
- Teach you to avoid plagiarism by using correct research and documentation techniques.
- Identify and teach you about grammatical errors common to your writing.
- Assist you with MLA, APA, and Turabian/Chicago style.
- Give you assistance with your writing even if you are an online-only or hybrid student.
- Demonstrate critical reading skills.
- Encourage you to enjoy writing and discover your own writing process.
What we don’t do:
- We WILL NOT proofread or “fix” your paper for you. We are a center for one-on-one instruction in writing, not a proofreading service.
- We WILL NOT tell you what grade we think your assignment will earn in your class.
The Accuplacer English placement test has two parts: Sentence Skills and Reading Comprehension.
Each part consists of 20 questions. The test is not timed, but may take approximately one hour. The Sentence Skills test measures your ability to correct sentences by substituting a word or phrase underlined in the sentence. It will also ask you to specifically rewrite sentences without changing the meaning. Reading Comprehension measures your analytical and comprehensive reading skills and your ability to apply what you have read.
Samples of Both Tests
College Board Official Web-Based Study App for computers - FREE- Interactive practice tests for ACCUPLACER™ Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra, College-Level Math, Reading Comprehension and Essay Skills tests
Reading Comprehension Sample Tests
Sentence Skills (English) Sample Tests:
Accuplacer ESL Samples:
ESL Accuplacer Reading Skills Samples:
Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab – an invaluable online resource for English students.
GALILEO – GALILEO stands for Georgia Library Learning Online, an initiative of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.