Drivers' Education Registration Information
Due to restrictions related to the Coivd-19 pandemic, Columbus Technical College is offering the 30 hours Driver's Education course in an online format only. The college will provide the 6 hours behind-the-wheel training with appropriate health, vehicle sanitizing and PPE protocols.
Driver's Education Registration
The 30/6 hour Drivers Education course contains two parts. Students must pass both parts to receive the DDS certificate of completion.
1. Thirty hours of classroom lectures.
- Class Schedule for classes in January, February, March, April, August, September, October, November
4:00-7:00 PM, Monday-Thursday for 2 weeks and 2 days
- Class schedule for classes in June and July
8:00 AM-4:30 PM (1-hour lunch), Monday-Thursday for 1 week
- No class in May (final exams) or December (midterms and holidays)
- Documents needed: ADAP Form (15-17 year old), School Attendance Record (15-17 year olds), and Learner’s Permit (ALL students).
- Parent or legal guardian of 15-17 year old students MUST be present for the first day (30 minutes) for class orientation.
2. Six hours behind-the-wheel training.
- Individual schedules will be worked out with the Instructor.
Unless otherwise indicated, all classes will be held at 928 Manchester Expressway, Columbus, GA 31904 (Portable Building B, located on the far right of the parking lot when facing the W.G. Hartline Building).
What is the cost of the Drivers’ Education Course?
The cost is $350 per student.
Payment is due prior to first class session to confirm registration. Payment must be made to Columbus Technical College by Credit or Debit Card (no American Express or checks accepted).
If a student misses a class session or an agreed behind-the-wheel session the student may arrange a make-up with the Instructor. The charge will be $38 per hour, which must be paid to Columbus Technical Advance proper to the make-up date.
Are Scholarships Available?
Yes! For driving students 15-17 years of age. To find out if you are eligible for the Georgia Driver’s Education Grant Scholarship, visit https://georgiadrivers.ga.gov and click the link “Student Login.” Enter the username “student” and password “student” to login and begin the application.
Please note: if you pay for the class and subsequently find out you are eligible for a scholarship, Columbus Technical College cannot refund your payment.
How do I register for the Drivers’ Education Course?
1. Complete the Online Registration Form.
2. We will contact you by email to confirm the start date for the next available class.
3. Pay $350 for the class to confirm your registration. If you qualified for a Scholarship, notify us of the Voucher Number issued by the Georgia Drivers’ Education Commission and the date of issuance.
The First Class Session
1. Each student 15-17 years old MUST be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for orientation and completion of registration and legal formalities.
2. ALL students MUST bring the following documentation to the first session:
a. Learner's Permit
3. Students 15-17 years of age and who have been awarded a GDEC Grant Scholarship MUST bring the following additional documentation to the first session:
a. Proof of completion of the Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program (ADAP). This can be obtained from your High School counselor.
b. Proof of Attendance from High School (class schedule, letter from school administrator, most recent grade report).
If you have paid for the class out-of-pocket OR you are 18 years old, proof of ADAP and School Attendance are NOT required.
Parents or guardians and students 18+ years old can contact Jenny Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-641-5265 with any questions. Office location: Portable A