Veterans Addr

Apply for & Receive VA Education Benefits

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) Chapter 35

Step One: Apply to the VA

File the appropriate form below with the VA and allow Normal Processing Timeframe by the VA. The MGI Bill application for education benefits is processed by the VA. You may obtain these forms from the VA web sites or you may pick them up from Columbus Technical College Veterans Services Office.

If you have previously used your VA Education Benefits
Please complete VA Form 22-5495 (Application for Change of Program or Place of Training for Survivors and Dependents).

If you have never used your VA Education Benefits
Complete VA Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance).

A copy of your application or change form, along with additional documents, must be provided to the School Certifying Official (SCO) in the college VA Office in order to be certified for any VA Education benefits.

Step Two: Contact the School Certifying Official (SCO) at Columbus Technical College

Provide the SCO a copy of your “Certificate of Eligibility” to the VA Office (Hartline Bldg. Room 151-A).  This is the document that the VA mails to you after they’ve processed your application for benefits (22-5490 or 22-5495). 

Step Three: Register for courses

  • VA will only pay for course required for the completion of your program.
  • Courses that have been previously successfully completed can NOT be re-certified.
  • Failed courses may be repeated.
  • If you are enrolled in a diploma or a certificate program, VA will not pay for online courses.

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all courses from other schools that you may have attended are evaluated for credited. This information must be reported to the SCO to provide to VA. Failure to do so will result in non-payment of benefits.

Step Four: Certification of Enrollment

Certification by the College
The SCO will submit the approved/certified courses to the VA. The SCO will submit your courses for certification each semester. Courses will be submitted prior to the beginning of each semester if you have pre-registered for your courses. Adjustments you make to your schedule will also be submitted to the VA by the SCO. (All courses will be verified to ensure that they are within your program of study.)

Certification by the Student
Chapter 35 students must call (Verification number 1-888-442-4551) at the end of each month to verify enrollment, or complete and return the enrollment verification form that you will receive from the VA Office.

Note: if you are in a degree program, you will not be required to call in and certify your enrollment. This will be done through the VA Regional Office automatically.


107 thoughts on “Apply For VA Benefits”

  1. busted for using someone’s photo in a gay dating website

Comments are closed.