Veterans Addr

How to Apply for & receive your MGI Bill Benefits
Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD); Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR); Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) & Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP): Chapters 30; 1606; 1607; & VEAP

Step One: Apply to the VA

File the appropriate form below with the VA and allow Normal Processing Timeframe by the VA. The MGI Bill application for education benefits is processed by the VA. You may obtain these forms from the VA web sites or you may pick them up from the Columbus Technical College Veterans Services Office.

If you have previously used your MGI Bill benefits
Please complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).

If you have never used your MGI Bill benefits and you are within your ten year window
Please complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits).

A copy of your application or change form, along with additional documents, must be provided to the School Certifying Official (SCO) in the college VA Office in order to be certified for any VA Education benefits.

Step Two: Contact the School Certifying Official (SCO) at Columbus Technical College

Provide to the SCO a copy of your “Certificate of Eligibility” This document is mailed to you from the VA Office after your application has been processed for benefits (22-1990 or 22-1995).

Provide to the SCO a copy of your DD-214 member 4 copy (those who have served on active duty) or your NOBE Notice of Basic Eligibility (those who are active in the Reserves).

Step Three: Register for courses

  • VA will only pay benefits for courses that are required for your programs.
  • Courses that have been previously successfully completed can NOT be recertified.
  • Failed courses may be repeated.
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all courses from other schools that you may have attended and military training are evaluated for credited. This information must be reported to the SCO to provide to VA. Failure to do so will result in non-payment of benefits.

Step Four: Certification of Enrollment

Certification by the College
The SCO will submit the approved/certified courses to the VA. The SCO will submit your courses for certification each quarter. Courses will be submitted prior to the beginning of each quarter if you have pre-registered for your courses. Adjustments you make to your schedule will also be submitted to the VA by the SCO. (All courses will be verified to ensure that they are within your program of study.)

Self-Certification by the Student
Veterans must self-certify at the end of every month. You must verify your enrollment for each month. You cannot be paid for a month until you verify that you were still in attendance for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month or thereafter. There are two ways to self-certify your enrollment:

  • On-line through W.A.V.E (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)
  • 1-877-823-2378 – toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) line