The Division of Health Sciences & Nursing
Procedure for Competitive Admission Process
- Competitive admission applicants ae strongly encouraged to speak to an Academic Advisor before applying.
- Program Ranking is performed using a program-specific Excel spreadsheet with 60% of the ranking coming from competitive GPA and 40% from HESI A2 scores.
- Program applications will be available on our website two (2) weeks prior to published deadlines. Applicants must submit an electronic application for each program they wish to apply for at that time. All application information will be reviewed by Academic Advisement and then sent to Admissions for competitive ranking.
- Applicants with college degrees must compete in the same areas as students without previous degrees, including HESI A2 exam.
- Current CTC students in competitive health sciences or nursing programs CANNOT apply for another competitive health sciences or nursing program until completion of their present program.
- All pre-requisite courses must be complete at the time of the application deadline date.
- Transfer credits – Student’s official transcripts/grades from all institutions must be received by CTC’s Admissions Office by the deadline date.
- All accredited health sciences and nursing programs have state or national guidelines and standards that students must successfully meet to complete the program. However, the curriculum varies widely between each program. For example, some programs operate in the quarter system, while others utilize semesters. Furthermore, each programs’ courses are structured differently and may be taught in a different order. Therefore, Columbus Technical College will not accept transfer credit from other accredited colleges and universities for previously completed nursing or health sciences programs’ occupational courses. Additionally, no military credits and/or nursing experience while working in the military will be accepted.
- Competitive ranking will be based on the following:
- Designated prerequisite course grades
- On the program sequence sheets, which are located on the CTC webpage, an asterisk (*) indicates designated course grades used for competitive ranking. All prerequisites must be completed at the time of program application with a grade of C or higher.
- Applicants receiving a passing grade for any prerequisite course will be given one opportunity to improve their grade in that specific prerequisite course. The higher passing grade will be used for ranking. *Financial aid will only pay for two attempts with a passing grade.
- Science courses (BIOL 2113 & 2113L, 2114 & 2114L, 2117 & 2117L,
CHEM 1211 & 1211L and PHYS 1110 & 1110L, ALHS 1011) used for
competitive admission cannot be more than 7 years old or the course must be re-taken. Any science courses more than 7 years old will not be used for competitive ranking.
- HESI A2 exam scores
- The HESI A2 exam is required for all competitive programs.
- For degree programs (Associates Degree Nursing-RN, Radiologic Technology, respiratory Care Technology, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Surgical Technology, Dental Hygiene), applicants must achieve a 70 or higher to be eligible to apply.
- For diploma programs, the student must achieve a score of 60 or higher to be eligible. (Practical Nursing, Dental Assisting)
- The exam may be taken twice per calendar year. The test results are only good for a two-year period.
- The exam is administered in the CTC testing center (Located in the Library and Adult Education building). Call 706-649-1822 for exam dates, times, and questions. The cost of the exam is $48.00 and a test sitting fee of $25.00, for a total of $73.00.
- CTC’s specific exam will cover the following topics:
- Reading comprehension
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge
- Basic Math skills
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Exam preparation options
- There is free study study material through CTC’s virtual library via Galileo under the test prep software Mometrix, click on nursing and scroll to HESI A2 Secrets and HESI A2 Practice Questions to begin.
- There is also a study guide that may be purchased: HESI AdmissionAssessment Exam and Review, 5th Edition, Elsevier, ISBN 978-0-323-58226-1
- Designated prerequisite course grades
*APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE
*Students may begin applying online 2 weeks prior to program deadline
|Program||Deadline to turn|
application in to Health
|Associate Degree Nursing (Spring Semester Start)||September 15th|
|Associate Degree Nursing (Fall Semester Start)||June 1st|
|Dental Assisting||February 15th|
|Dental Hygiene||June 1st|
|Diagnostic Medical Sonography||September 15th|
|Practical Nursing||February 15th|
|Radiologic Technology||September 15th|
|Respiratory Care||September 15th|
|Surgical Technology||February 15th|