Before proceeding, please take a moment to read through Columbus Technical College’s Competitive Admission Policy. Please check the box acknowledging that you have read and understand the policy. Competitive Admission Policy
- Students applying for competitive admission are strongly encouraged to attend an information session.
- Program Ranking is performed using a program-specific Excel spreadsheet with 60% of the ranking coming from competitive GPA and 40% from HESI A2 scores.
- Program applications will be available on our website two (2) weeks prior to published deadlines. Students must submit an electronic application for each program they wish to apply for at that time. All application information will be reviewed in the Division of Health Sciences and Nursing and then sent to admissions for competitive ranking.
- Students who hold college degrees must compete in the same areas as students without previous degrees, including the HESI A2 exam.
- Current CTC students in competitive health sciences or nursing programs CANNOT apply for another competitive health sciences or nursing program until completion of their present program.
- All pre-requisite courses must be completed at the time of the application deadline date.
- Transfer credits – CTC’s Admissions Office must receive students’ official transcripts/grades from all institutions by the deadline date. a. All accredited health sciences and nursing programs have state or national guidelines and standards that students must successfully meet to complete the program. However, the curriculum varies widely among programs. For example, some programs operate in the quarter system while others utilize semesters. Furthermore, each program’s courses are structured differently and may be taught in a different order. Therefore, Columbus Technical College will not accept transfer credit from other accredited colleges and universities for previously completed nursing or health sciences program-occupational courses. Additionally, no military credits and/or nursing experience while working in the military will be acceptedCompetitive ranking will be based on:
Competitive ranking will be based on:
- Designated prerequisite course grades. Courses used for competitive ranking are indicated for each program in the Catalog and Student Handbook on the CTC web page. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher at the time of program application submission.
- Applicants receiving a passing grade for any prerequisite course will be given one opportunity to improve their grade in that specific prerequisite course. The higher passing grade will be used for ranking. * Financial Aid will only pay for two attempts with a passing grade.
- Science courses (BIOL 2113 & 2113L, 2114 & 2114L, 2117 & 2117L, CHEM 1211 & 1211L and PHYS 1110 & 1110L, ALHS 1011) used for competitive admission cannot be more than 7 years old or the course must be re-taken. Any science courses more than 7 years old will not be used for competitive ranking.
HESI A2 exam scores
- CTC’s specific HESI A2 exam is required for all competitive programs and must be taken in the CTC testing center. Only scores from this exam will be used for ranking.
- For degree programs, the student must achieve a score of 70 or higher to be eligible to apply. (Associate Degree Nursing-RN, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care Technology, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Surgical Technology, Dental Hygiene)
- For diploma programs, the student must achieve a score of 60 or higher to be eligible. (Practical Nursing, Dental Assisting)
- The test may be taken a total of two times per calendar year. The test results are only good for a two-year period.
- The test is administered through our testing center, at the Columbus Technical College Library Building. Call 706-649-1822 to sign up for the exam. The cost of the exam is $54.00 and a test sitting fee of $25.00, for a total of $79.00.
- CTC’s specific exam will cover the following topics:
1. Reading comprehension
2. Vocabulary and General Knowledge
4. Basic Math skills
6. Anatomy and Physiology
Before Proceeding, please take a moment to read through Columbus Technical College’s Competitive Admission Policy.